Sunday, June 19

Money is NOT important: How a song in a Disney movie--Princess and the Frog helped me with my finances.



Money is not important.  Handling Money Well is.

I just watched the “Princess and the Frog" for the nth time with my daughter and I can’t get this song off my mind—
"You gotta dig a little deeper by Mama Odie” & it goes like this;

You got to dig a little deeper
Find out who you are
You got to dig a little deeper
It really ain't that far
When you find out who you are
You'll find out what you need
Blue skies and sunshine guaranteed...
Prince Froggy is a rich little boy
You wanna be rich again
That ain't gonna make you happy now
Did it make you happy then? No!
Money ain't got no soul
Money ain't got no heart
All you need is some self-control
Make yourself a brand new start
You got to dig a little deeper
Don't have far to go
You got to dig a little deeper
Tell the people Mama told you so
Can't tell you what you'll find
Maybe love will grant you peace of mind
Dig a little deeper and you'll know

*If you haven’t watched this scene yet, go ahead and watch it at the Mickey and Wondrous Book, Hong Kong Disneyland.

When I started thinking of my finances, I said to myself "Money will solve all my problems” but just like the Frog Prince, I got it all wrong.
This movie teaches you about money and life's purpose like a sharp knife, it goes straight to your heart.

"For the ultimate purpose of wealth is to help/love others."
-Bo Sanchez

Where do we start?
This is the question everyone asks and it's no different with me.
I took hold of my finances and got creative on how to handle it well with proper, consistent budgeting of it.  Learned from reading Books, following Personal Finance Blogs and attending Seminars and quite a few Webinars about the topic.
I have existing loans to start with and with less spending power I got more creative in sorting our monthly income to fit into our lifestyle.  I started to Invest in myself.  In my mindset.

I always thought that with proper knowledge, I will be invincible and will be successful in achieving Financial Freedom.  That's how all success stories start --- How to achieve freedom.  And who wouldn't want to be free, right?
And then I came across a book by Bo Sanchez entitled 8 Secrets of the Truly Rich and I hit a road block.  For at the end of the book it says that the first step ( actually Step 0: ) is to Give.
Give? "What are you talking about?" I said to myself aloud.
What I intended is to gain money not to give.  How can you ask me to give first?  So I put the book aside and read more books.  I learned so much and felt very equipped to start acting on it but at the back of my mind I felt guilty on just focusing on getting money.  So I prayed and actually asked our pastor for guidance, stayed after service and approached him and asked about money.  He then recommended a book called A Purpose Driven Life then I was sold.
I told myself I will give first.
Let me see what will happen.

And as part of Giving, the Spearhead Mission was born.  Then, I did not stop.  I began with myself. I began with learning. 

"Learning is the beginning of wealth. Learning is the beginning of health. Learning is the beginning of spirituality. Searching and learning is where the miracle process all begins." --Jim Rohn

The title of this post says "How a song in a Disney movie Princess and the Frog helped me with my finances." so let's follow what the song says and a few things I learned from it.  



When you find out who you are, 
you'll find what you need
I said to myself I don't WANT to be rich because greed might overcome me yet I do NEED a lot of money not for me but for the needs of my family, my daughter and my own.
Not wanting to be rich and needing money are two contradicting way of thinking. If I want to provide food, shelter, clothing, education, medicine, etc. I will be needing money for that.
Not wanting to be rich will definitely not make me get the money I need.  So I need to change my way of thinking about being rich. Being rich would mean I can buy things needed by my family.  Being rich suddenly is a good thing by knowing who I am.
So who am I?
I am the father of my daughter, the husband to my wife, and the provider of my family. 
So I focused on Handling Money Well not because of the money but because I am a Provider.


Prince Froggy is a rich little boy
You wanna be rich again
That ain't gonna make you happy now
Did it make you happy then? No!
So how do you overcome greed?
It's all in the mind.  The danger of having more money is you can't get enough of it.  You will want more because of all the possible things it can buy for you.  Awareness of this is key.
I am poor all my life and it's only now that I have decided I will become rich. And with that decision I am preparing my mind not to be greedy.  By conditioning my thinking that this will not make me happy.  What will make me happy is my purpose which goes back to finding who you are. 

I am not only a provider but also my daughter's super hero Dad, my wife's ultimate bodyguard and my family's guardian.  
I am a Super Hero.

What does this have to do with overcoming greed? It has everything to do with it. 
By knowing that your role to your family does not stop on being a provider, you will not think of money as the primary focus. Instead, knowing that being ever present will be the goal of a protector.  
"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment; Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share"  Timothy 1 6:17-18
Knowing also, that all the riches that you are getting is not really from you but are blessings. Richness entails good deeds, giving and sharing all your blessings.  So do get more money but remember to share with others.


Money ain't got no soul
Money ain't got no heart
Basurang itinapon mo, babalik at babalik din sa'yo.  Subukan mo magtapon ng ginto.
Garbage you throw will always come back to you.  Try throwing gold.
I give my time and a portion of my income to helping others for love.
Love all the people around you by giving them all the blessing you have received.

"For the love of money is the root of all evil" 1 Timothy 6:10.
I do not love money.  I handle money well because money is the instrument to help me Provide and Protect. I want to provide because of love by spending precious time with family while doing things I love to do and having the capacity to help more people with the Time and Money I was able to save.

All you need is some self-control
Make yourself a brand new start
You see, money is not important.
What's more important is to Handle Money Well by saving a portion of income to give first, a portion for it to grow, and another portion for emergency.  The rest of it for your expenses.  Next step is to be consistent in doing so and then let the rest work out to your advantage with the help of time to turn this into a habit.
Make positive habits.


Let me be clear that Money is just an instrument NOT the goal.
And the GOAL is to help/love others. 
'Others' means everyone that is not you.  People you know or you don't know. People you like or you don't like. People you love or don't love. Yes, even your enemies.



Can't tell you what you'll find
Maybe love will grant you peace of mind
What changed in me is my thinking not because of the knowledge I collected but my mindset towards money.  From Scarcity to Abundance.  There's plenty of money to go around, you just have to find a way to get it and make it work for you than you slaving away your precious time.  Don't get me wrong, for this Abundance thinking took me a long time to finally sink it in my psyche and I am still struggling with it more often than I would like to.  But as I always tell my 3 year old daughter to always do her very best just like Tiana from the Princess and the Frog, to always try again even if there are so many road blocks just like Mulan and to never, ever give up on your heart's desire.  Then surrendering everything to His will.  

If you have children, these are some things you'd like to teach them and there's no greater way they will learn this. The way of Leading by Example.

Be who you want your children to be.
What Am I?
I am a Provider
I am a Protector.
I am a Role Model.








and finally

"But seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."  Matthew 6:33

Dig a little deeper and you'll know. 
Starting with me, knowing my core values and what I value the most.
Result?
Blue skies and sunshine guaranteed. . .

Maybe these are the reason why rich people give and they gave even before they got rich and then they gave more when they got rich. They just don't tell anyone about it. 
When I finally saw the effects of giving money, money became less important.  For you can let go of some things you thought you needed and give them to others.  Giving time is also a form of service,  I volunteered my self by spreading the awareness and importance of Handling Money Well.

How about you? Can you dig a little deeper?
Do you handle money well?
Do you give Money now? How about Time?

The Secret of the Truly Rich is to Give.
As part of my Giving
I am inviting you to a
Quick Start FREE LIVE STREAM!!!
In the comfort of your own home or office.
On August 14, 2016, Sunday, you will have a chance to learn more about stock market investing.  I assure you that what you'll learn in this Quick Start Free Live Streaming will remove your fears and PAG AAGAM-AGAM when you hear "Stock Market Investing".
This happened to me. My mindset was converted and my strategy strengthened. Truly Rich Club's goal of changing Mindset thru inspiring true stories and Strategy building with the help of COL Financial Chairman Edward Lee ( Bro Bo's Mentor ) when you are investing already is promise and a blessing. Truly Rich Club will guide you as if Bro Bo Sanchez is holding your hand through the entire process as you build wealth and more, guilt free.
Guilt free because the ultimate purpose of wealth is to help/love others.
And this is Live so you can ask questions real time.
To join the TrulyRichClub Quick Start Live Streaming, pls register through the link below.

Share this Quickstart Webinar to help more people.

Related posts: Give, Share & Inspire Part 1
             
                        Give, Share & Inspire Part 2

TO JOIN TRULY RICH CLUB by Bo Sanchez click here

For more Live Seminars here in Hong Kong please check:
            www.spearheadmission.com/give








No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?